This Policy does not apply to information we collect by other means (including offline) or from other sources.
Information collected by Inkling
Inkling uses the Personal Information and other information we collect to, among other things, analyze how the Service is used, diagnose service or technical problems, maintain security, personalize content, remember information to help you efficiently access your account, monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns, and track user content and users as necessary to improve the Service and comply with applicable laws.
You provide us information about yourself, such as your name and email address, if you register for an account with the Service. Your name and other information you choose to add to your profile will be available for public viewing on the Service. We may use your email address to send you Service-related notices (including any notices required by law, in lieu of communication by postal mail). We may also use your contact information to send you marketing email messages. If you do not want to receive such messages, you may opt out by following the instructions in the message. If you do not wish to receive email offers and certain Service-related messages, please indicate your preference in your “Privacy Settings” in the Inkling application or on the Inkling website. It may take up to 10 business days for us to implement your opt-out request. If you correspond with us by email, we may retain the content of your email messages, your email address and our responses.
If you use your Facebook®, Twitter®, or other social networking site (“SNS”) account credentials to sign in to Inkling, we will collect and store your SNS user ID. We may also collect information you supply to us regarding your personal preferences and interests. If you use your SNS account credentials to access the Service, you understand that some content and/or information in your SNS account (“Third Party Account Information”) may be transmitted into your account with us if you authorize such transmissions, and that Third Party Account Information transmitted to our Service is covered by this Policy. You can choose not to provide us with any or all of the information we specify or request, but then you may not be able to register with us or to take advantage of some or all of our features.
You also provide us information by submitting user-generated content to the Service (“User-generated Content”), including your notes and highlights. Your User-generated Content, and metadata about it (such as when you submitted the User-generated Content), may be publicly viewable on the Service, along with your first name and the first initial of your last name (unless the Service permits you to post anonymously). You can control whether your User-generated Content is private or public at the time you submit such information.
In addition, if you choose to follow a friend using the Service, invite a friend to use the Service or gift Inkling content to a friend, we will ask you for that person’s email address. Inkling stores the email addresses you submit to send relevant communications, to register your friend if your invitation or gift is accepted, to track the success of invitation and gifting programs, and to identify your friends on Inkling.
Information collected automatically:
Whenever you interact with our Service, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, browser type, domain name, access time, referring URL, device ID, “cookie” information, and the page you requested.
“Cookies” are identifiers we transfer to your computer or device that allow us to recognize your browser or device and tell us how and when pages in our Service are visited and by how many people. You may be able to change the preferences on your browser or device to prevent or limit your computer’s or device’s acceptance of cookies, but doing so may prevent you from taking advantage of our Service’s best features. Our publisher partners may transmit cookies to your computer or device when you click on links that appear in the Inkling version of their books, and may collect information from you. This Policy does not cover cookies delivered to you by any of our publisher partners.
We also collect usage information related to how you use our website or Inkling books (“Data Analytics”), such as how many times you visit or how much time you spend in a particular part of a book or our website. We use these tools to help us improve our Service, performance and user experiences.
In addition, we may collect different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g., IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g., GPS-based functionality on mobile devices used to access the Service), and may use that information to customize the Service with location-based information and features. If you access the Service through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this.
How we use your Personal Information
We use the information that we gather about you for the following sorts of purposes:
- To provide Service to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Service, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, or to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our Service.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your email address, to email you about products or information we think may interest you. We may also use the information that we learn about you to help determine where to advertise on third party websites.
- To better understand how users access and use our Service, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Service, respond to user preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- As required or otherwise permitted by law.
How we share your Personal Information
Inkling will not share your Personal Information in personally identifiable form except as described below.
- SERVICE PROVIDERS: In certain situations, we employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide that service. Unless we inform you otherwise, our agents do not have any right to use the Personal Information we share with them beyond what we deem necessary to assist us in performing such tasks.
- PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION: Certain user profile information, including without limitation, a user’s username and the image content that such user has uploaded to our website may be displayed to other users to facilitate user interaction within the Service or to address your request for our services. Any content you upload to your public user profile, along with any Personal Information or content that you voluntarily disclose online in a manner other users can view (on discussion boards, in messages and chat areas, etc.) becomes publicly available, and can be collected and used by others.
- BUSINESSES WE WORK WITH: Businesses or third party websites we work with may provide services to you through the Service (either alone or jointly with us). You can recognize when an affiliated business is associated with such a service, and we will share your Personal Information with that affiliated business only to the extent that we deem it related to such service. For example, we include the ability for you to automatically transmit information from your Inkling account to an account on a third party website or service, such as Facebook. We have no control over the policies and practices of third party websites or businesses, such as Facebook, so if you choose to take part in any transaction or service relating to an affiliated website or business, please review all such business’ or websites’ policies.
- AFFILIATES: We may disclose the Personal Information we collect from you to our affiliates or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your Personal Information will be subject to this Policy.
- SALE OF OUR BUSINESS: As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets or business offerings. Customer, email, and visitor information is generally one of the transferred business assets in these types of transactions. We may also transfer or assign such information in the course of corporate divestitures, mergers, or dissolution.
- SUBPOENAS/SAFETY/PROTECTING OUR SERVICE: Inkling may disclose your Personal Information if required to do so by law or subpoena or if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety of any person; to address fraud, security or technical issues; or to protect Inkling’s rights or property.
Non-personally identifiable information:
We may aggregate and/or de-identify Personal Information collected through the Service so that the information does not identify you, and use it for any purpose, including for research and marketing purposes, and our use and disclosure of such information is not subject to any restrictions under this Policy. We may provide this aggregate usage information to our publisher partners; and our publisher partners may use such information to understand how often and in what ways people use our Service, so that our publishers partners, too, can endeavor to provide you with an optimal learning experience. For example, we may provide our publisher partners with de-identified information on the relative popularity of cards in an Inkling book.
The security of your information
Your account is protected by a password for your privacy and security. If you access your account via Facebook Connect or using another SNS’s account credentials, you may have additional or different sign-on protections through the SNS. You need to prevent unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password (or other sign-on protections) appropriately and limiting access to your computer or device by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
We endeavor to protect the privacy of your account and other Personal Information we hold in our records, and have implemented commercially reasonable security precautions, but we cannot guarantee complete security.
Consent to Transfer Information to the United States
If you are located outside of the United States, please note that your Personal Information will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using our Service, you consent to the transfer and processing of your information in the United States, which may not have the same level of data protection as your home country. You are entirely free not to consent. However, if you do not consent, then we may not be able to provide you with our Service.
Access to your Personal Information
Through “My Account” on the Inkling website, you may access, and, in some cases, edit or delete the following information you have provided to us:
- name and password;
- email address;
- billing information; and
- SNS account association.
The information you can view and update may change as the Service changes. If you have any questions about viewing or updating information we have on file about you, please contact us at email@example.com.
Your choices about your information
You can always elect not to disclose personally identifying information to us. However, please keep in mind that we may need some information to allow you to register with us or to take advantage of some or all of our features, and if you choose not to provide that information, your ability to use our Service may be limited. You may update or correct your account information and email preferences at any time through “My Account” on the Inkling website.
To adjust the types of information about you that we receive from Facebook, you must change your Facebook account settings directly through Facebook.
Our Service is not designed for children under 13, and Inkling does not want to collect and does not seek to collect Personal Information from children under 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register with the Service. If we discover that we have collected Personal Information from a child under 13, we will take steps to remove that information from our systems. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links to Third-Party Websites
We are not responsible for the practices employed by third-party websites linked to or from the Service, nor the information or content contained therein. Please remember that when you use a link to go from the Service to a third-party website, our Policy is no longer in effect. Your browsing and interaction on any third-party website, including those that have a link on our website, is subject to that third-party website’s own rules and policies.
Special Notice to California Consumers
California residents may request a list of certain third parties to which we have disclosed certain Personal Information about you for the third party’s own direct marketing purposes. You may make one request per calendar year. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response to you. We will respond to you within thirty (30) days. You may request this information in writing by contacting us at:
Attn: Legal Department
Inkling Systems, Inc.
153 Kearny St, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94108
Updates to this Policy
We may amend this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. Use of information we collect now is subject to the Policy in effect at the time such information is used. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the Personal Information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to notify you in advance of such change by posting an announcement on our Service or contacting you directly via email or other means. You are bound by any changes to the Policy when you use the Service after such changes have been first posted.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices or this Policy, please contact us at email@example.com.
Last updated: November 23, 2013
Learn More about Inkling
Inkling is packed with features that make it easier and more fun to learn. Learn more